Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Emptying the attic

08/02/11.  Today we made a start at finally emptying our attic of all the junk and rubbish that has accumulated there over the last twenty five years.  Donnchadh was in the attic throwing down boxes and black plastic bags.  Lets just say the recycling center will be happy to see our car arriving over the next few weeks.  Old electrical appliances that are broken.  Old computer games now obsolete, old school copies and books belonging to our gang.  Fishing lines, feathers, old curlers, clothes, knitting needles, patterns, wool, and that is just the beginning.  While Liam and I were sorting through the stuff down stairs, there came from the attic a long disgusted sound.  Yes Donn had found a body.  Won't say any more on that subject, but to say it is now in the bin.  The hazards of country living in the country.  Hope he doesn't find any more, he will not be too pleased if he does.  More to go we have only touched the tip of it yet so more exciting finds will happen I am sure over the next few days.

Another project finished today.  This is a jacket I started eighteen months ago.  I  bought the wool at the knitting and stitching show which is held in October each year here in Ireland.  http://www.twistedthread.com/pages/exhibitions/viewExhibition.aspx?id=19&view=overview  It has been running each year for a long time now and I have attended it a few times, sometimes on my own and sometimes with family.  It is a fabulous adventure if you are a stitcher, knitter or crafter.  The exhibition area upstairs holds some fabulous exhibits from Irish craft people.  Last year there was some amazing felt work.  One of the parts that I like the best is the actual quilt exhibition.  The work and detail in some of the quilts on show is breathtaking and if you never sewed a stitch in your life you could not help but be impressed with the needlework and craftsmanship  involved in the quilts.  Anyway the year before last I was taken by these lovely jackets I saw and bought the wool to make it for myself.  I started it and had the back and one front piece done, when I left it down.  After I finished Maria's jumper last week I picked it up again to do and finished it at lunch time today.


I am very pleased with the results.  Toby doesn't much care for it although he would make a bed of it if he get a chance.  He not very pleased with me at the moment, I am not allowing him up on the sofa any more and he is not happy.  He does have a nice pillow to lie on just beside the radiator and is in a very warm spot, he will have to get used to it.

Remember I mentioned about my daughter writing for an online magazine, here is her first article published this week.http://vulgo.ie/voices/aisling-ryans-dark-music-days-in-reykjavik-13/  enjoy the read.

My second daughter Éadaoin has also started a new blog page.  She is showcasing other bloggers who have inspired her.  Here is the link  http://networkedblogs.com/dWXDw  She has two lovely bloggers up there already but she explains it better.  Go have a look and enjoy.  Her original blog is called city of blackbirds and there is a link to her at the end of my page.

Today is the feast day of Kew who with her brother Docco, set up a hermitage in Lan Docco in Cornwall.  Yesterday was the feast of Tresan, who left Ireland for France and was a swineherds man.  He was eventually ordained a priest and stayed in France in a place called Mareuil.  St Martin had a church there at one point.

Heading now will check in again soon.  Love and light to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment