Sunday, February 6, 2011

Endings.

06/02/11 I have been very distracted since my last post hence the long delay in updating here.  Great news, the jumper is complete and all threads woven in and here is a pic of the model wearing it.  She is very pleased with it as am I.



It is a perfect fit for her.  Finally can say that this is ended.  Gave her a ball band for washing instructions and her response was 'sure Mam you need to hold onto that, you'll be washing it'.  Need not tell you the response she received.  My children can be very funny at times.  One more look here closer up to the jumper.


Not very complimentary to my girl, but you can see the jumper better in this.  One ending.  The second ending this week was my literature assignment entitled 'a woman's proper place is in the home' and before any of my female follows get up in arms we are talking about women writers in the eighteenth century and how they got around the stereotype expectations placed on them by their society and did manage to publish some very excellent poetry.  In doing the reading for this essay (3000 words), I found it very interesting.  The women were uneducated in an education sense.  They were not familiar with the structures and methods of writing poetry,  nor had they read people like Ciscero or Virgil.  These older writers  had a huge influence on male writers.  However, these women were in my opinion smarter that their male counterparts.  They turned to the mundane everyday events and happenings in their lives and created some very skillful poetry out of these.  They even managed to outwit the men with some of their poetry.  They were able to make both social and international commentary through their poetry.  If you get a chance have a look at some poems written by Anne Finch and Mary Barber and if you can read the commentary on them it makes for an interesting evening if you have a little time to spare.  Three more essay's to complete.  Another tutorial in Dublin next Saturday this one based on the development of the novel in the eighteenth century.  Should be interesting.  In the meantime I had better get some reading done for the next essay which is based on how Shakespeare or Christopher Marlow dealt with the theme of the Outsider in their plays,  Yes its all fun and games here.

Toby lost his first tooth this week.  I was playing on the bed with him yesterday morning when suddenly there seemed to be a lot of blood on his mouth.  On closer inspection I discovered he had just lost a tooth,  I have to admit I was a bit panicked until I went online to discover that pups lose teeth the same way as we do.  I wondered why he was off his food for a day or two but he is much improved.  At the moment he is fast asleep on the sofa with Maria and Adrian and Aoife.  Liverpool and Chelsea are on the telly and Adrian is not too pleased.  We are all sitting here relaxed after our meal.

Liam has been away overnight in a town called Ennistymon in Co Clare at a bee conference.  He is due back this evening at some stage.  He will be full of talk about bees when he gets here.  Have to say I did miss him about the house so looking forward to having him back tonight.  Aoife is heading back to Dublin this evening, she arrived on Friday for a break from college, it was nice to have her here for a couple of days.  It is hard to imagine that she is in her final few months in college after four years.  Don't know what the future holds for her after that or even what she intends doing but one sad thing about it is the fact that there are not jobs here for her in her chosen field which is geology.

Here is a link for you to look up.  http://vulgo.ie/  It is an online multidisciplinary cultural magazine and my daughter Aisling will be one of the contributors.  Looks very interesting with news of many cultural happenings and interviews with very interesting people.  

Time to update some of the things I am grateful for

1.  Grateful for my lovely family
2.  Grateful for my wonderful friends.
3.  Grateful for the opportunity to help look after my dad.
4.  Grateful for the arrival of Spring
5.  Grateful for the time to be able to indulge in my hobbies.

There are many other things I could list here, but I do not want to bore you.  One of my favourite poems is by a lady called Dawna Markova and it is called 'I will not die an unlived life'.  I will put the words up here in my next posting.

I have to say that I have found many wonderful knitting and crochet websites through Twitter.  It is absolutely amazing what you can do on this internet.  I will spend some time looking for the cross stitch sites and embroidery ones as well.  It has tapped into my own creativity hence the pulling out of the unfinished projects that are around the house in bags to be finished.  Just as well I have some work to do, as I still have not heard a word from the jobs I applied for last week.  Fingers crossed that one of them will come up otherwise some serious thinking will have to happen about what to do in the future.

Heading now, will put up anther post during the week.  Sending lots of love and light to you all for the coming few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment