13/01/11. Today a day for reading. As part of my course on Literature I am presently reading articles concerning eighteenth century poets. The poets we are concentrating on at the moment are John Wilmot Earl of Rochester and Aphra Behn. Both contemporary poets they lived during the time of the Restoration of Charles 11 to the English throne. Much of their poetry is (what can I say only) lewd. It is of its time and reflects much of what went on in the court at this time in English history. Here is a link to one of Aphra Behn's poems called The Disappointment http://www.poetry-archive.com/b/the_disappointment.html Let me know what you think. Contrast it to one by the Earl of Rochester entitled The Imperfect Enjoyment http://ethnicity.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Texts/imperfect.html These are just two examples of poets who lived in the Eighteenth Century. I am also studying Seventeenth Century poetry in another module and will give ye a sampler of that when I am reading it. Reading about these poets gives one a peek into life of the time. One can certainly ask if their work could have been written about what goes on in some places today. Methinks it could.
I am contemplating going to Dublin tomorrow to get to the office in college before Saturday. I really need to get some work done in the library and it will not be open on Saturday when our tutorial is on. Will make my mind up in the morning. We have a free weekend as such as my dad and mam are going with my two youngest sisters to see Mr Brendan Grace in Killarney on Sunday. If I was not going to college in Dublin I would probably have gone with them, not to see Brendan, as I've seen him before and last year here in Thurles, but to help out with dad. This will be the first time that he has been away from home for an overnight stay since he had his stroke eighteen months ago. Hopefully it will go ok for them and that they all enjoy the show. Dad loves a good comedy show and Pat Shortt is probably his fav comic. Some of you may know him from his performance in a lovely film call 'Garage'. He has also been in a very successful TV series here in Ireland called 'Killinascully' which is filmed in a village not to far from here. One of my friend's sisters is in it as are some of the other locals. Priceless Irish humor. http://www.patshortt.com/ He comes from our local town Thurles.
Must get back to the reading now so chat again soon, love and light to all.
No comments:
Post a Comment